I like preparing beef, chicken, and pork that can be used in a variety of dishes. This recipe for shredded beef can be made a couple of different ways and used in any type of recipe calling for shredded beef: barbecue beef sandwiches, shepherd’s pie, over rice, over bread with gravy, the list goes on…… Beef can be seasoned for your recipe after it has finished cooking.
I sautéed the onions and garlic to get more of a caramelized flavor from the onion, as well as, slightly browning the beef. However, you can skip the sautéing and browning. Just add all ingredients (excluding olive oil) to the inner pot and Pressure Cook for 60 minutes. This is matter of preference.
(inspired by Heather Schlueter’s Shredded BBQ Beef Sandwiches in COOKING WITH YOUR INSTANT POT® MINI)
- Yield: 2.5 lb chuck roast yields 4 cups shredded
- Prep Time: 12 minutes
- Time to Reach Pressure: about 12 minutes
- Pressure Cook: 60 minutes
- Natural Release: 15 minutes
Total time prep to table: 1 hour 50 minutes (less if skipping sautéing)
- 2.5 – 4 lb. chuck roast cut into 4- to 5-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 – 2.5 cups of beef broth, lower sodium (adjust according to lbs of meat)
- BBQ sauce (optional)
- 1 – 2 tablespoons cornstarch (optional)
- Salt, pepper, desired seasoning (optional)
- Press Sauté to heat inner pot while preparing the onion, garlic, and beef.
- When inner pot is HOT, add the olive oil and sautéing the onion and garlic a few minutes until the onion is tender and slightly brown. Add the beef and brown lightly. Press Cancel to stop Sauté function.
- Add the beef broth. Place the lid securely on the Instant Pot® and make sure the steam/pressure valve is turned to Sealing. Press Pressure Cook. Set time for 60 minutes.
- When cooking is completed, natural release for 15 minutes. Then turn the steam/pressure valve to Venting to release pressure. Press Cancel.
- Once all pressure is released, remove the lid. Move the beef to either a cutting board or a large bowl for shredding.
- Beef with gravy over mashed potatoes, rice, or bread – Press Sauté. While liquid is heating, whisk 1-2 tablespoons of cornstarch into 1 – 2 tablespoons of water. When the liquid is hot (bubbling), whisk the cornstarch/water mixture into the liquid. Whisk until liquid thickens. Add beef to inner pot and stir into the liquid. Season as desired.
- BBQ beef sandwiches – after shredding beef, add your favorite BBQ sauce and stir to coat the beef.